Last week seemed to fly by! I was happy to get in a few runs and some cross training. I’m still happily pain free, but was experiencing some stiffness in my right foot on Saturday and decided to take a day off. From what I read online, a little stiffness is normal when you first resume running after a stress fracture, and it’s nothing to worry about as long as 1) You’re not experiencing pain, 2) It is not getting worse, and 3) It is gradually getting better as you (slowly) increase mileage. I put my inner drama queen in time out and am continuing to progress with my training! This week will be a week of 3 mile runs! 🙂
Weekly Work-Out Log:
- Monday: 20 min stair-mill, 2 mile run, 20 min elliptical trainer
- Tuesday: 55 min spinner, TRX Work-Out (Squats, Biceps, Triceps, Low-Row, Chest Press, Planks, Atomic Crunches)
- Wednesday: Rest
- Thursday: 20 min row, 2 mile run, Kettlebell Workout (Swings, Goblet Squat, Russian Twists)
- Friday: 12.5 miles walking in NYC
- Saturday Rest
- Sunday: 3 mile run, 30 minutes Yoga
Total 2015 Miles: 9
I’m putting my best foot forward and trying to remain positive through the whole recovery process. There are definitely days when it is frustrating but I consider every day I am able to make a little progress without re injuring myself a success. I’m also finding amazing support in some unexpected places….like on the 2015 in 2015 Challenge FB page where I’ve been connecting with and getting advice from other runners. I know I’m totally biased, but I think the running community is the coolest!!
Other things that made me happy last week:
- My new running shoes that I ordered on Amazon came in the mail! I tried on the Asic Gel DS Trainers at Road Runner at the beginning of the summer but went against “Shoe Dogs” recommendation of buying these “Performance Support” shoes because I was dead set on wearing a “minimalist” shoe. (A topic for another post, I believe those minimalists shoes contributed to my stress fractures). I wore them for all three runs last week and they felt amazing! Comfortable, supportive, but still very light weight! I love the fun, bright colors too!
- I found a cool new fitness app for my smart phone, Rock My Run, and enjoyed jamming to a 30 minute “Twerk Out” playlist during Sunday’s run! You can search for playlist based on genre, bpm, and workout length and either download or stream the playlist on your phone. The app was free, and you can get playlists up to 45 minutes long without having to upgrade to a paid membership. And in case you were curious about how to select BPMs for your run (I was!), I found this article, 150 BPM is about a 10 minute mile.
- I got to see my youngest brother for the first time in 2 and a half years! He lives overseas and had an overnight layover in JFK on Friday. I got off work early and took the train up to NYC to meet up with him. We walked around Time Square, grabbed a bite to eat at Hard Rock Cafe, then spent the whole night drinking coffee and catching up in a little greasy spoon diner until it was time for him to head back to the airport. Then I got back on a train home at 6 am! That was my first time pulling an all nighter since my 30th birthday and I was HURTING on Saturday! I’m such an old lady now! Lol 100% worth it though to catch up with my bro!
What made you happy this week?